If you’re not familiar with community solar, or it isn’t widely available in your state yet, you’ll be hearing more about it soon. Let’s get you up to speed on community solar – a fast-growing form of renewable energy.
Community Solar – and How It Works
A community solar farm is a collection of solar panels. The community solar farm supplies clean, renewable energy to your local utility company. As a homeowner, renter, business, or nonprofit, you can sign up for community solar and continue to receive power from the same utility you use today. Once the farm generates energy, you receive solar credits on your monthly utility bill, saving on your monthly energy costs.
Our video, How Community Solar Works, explains things well, too.
The Benefits of Community Solar
There’s no down side to subscribing to a community solar farm. When you sign up, you can:
- Help the environment by reducing greenhouse gases and shrinking your carbon footprint.
- Avoid the hassle and costs of installing traditional rooftop solar panels.
- Save on your monthly energy costs while you help create a cleaner environment for tomorrow.
Signing up for community solar is one of the easiest ways to enjoy the benefits of solar power. Here’s why:
- You don’t need to own your roof (or even have one).
- You don’t have to worry about installing solar panels on your rooftop if you do have one.
- There are no upfront costs, insurance, or maintenance fees.
- With enrollment, you’ll be able to view your positive environmental impact online.
- Plus, you save on your monthly energy costs.
Sign-Up Takes Just 5 Minutes
If helping the environment – and your wallet – sounds good to you, it’s easy to get started with community solar. All you need is five minutes and your utility bill. Here’s how sign-up works:
- Go to our website and enter your ZIP code to see if there are any community solar farms near you. (Join a waitlist if none are available yet.)
- Create your account, confirm you’re eligible, and sign up for your solar farm.
- When your farm starts producing clean energy, receive solar credits that reduce your monthly energy costs.
After you sign up, we stay in touch, letting you know how to access your solar dashboard, where you can track your solar farm’s progress (if it’s under construction), production, and impact on the environment – and you’ll see your monthly savings there, too. We’ll keep you in the loop so you know when your subscription will go live and your savings will begin.
Where to Go for More Information
If you’re a person who needs more information before making a decision, we have just the resource for you. Our Guide to the Essentials about Community Solar should answer many of your questions or direct you to other resources we offer. You’re always welcome to contact us, too. The Nelnet Renewable Energy Customer Service team is happy to answer your questions and provide assistance.